Friday, July 20, 2012

one orientation down, two to go

Today I am finishing up my last day of orientation in Toronto.  The actual sessions have been a mix of useful and boring, but generally helpful.  It has also been wonderful to get to know these other folks.  I expect many of us will continue to stay in touch and support each other as we go into new positions and new locations.

The most interesting event was a visit to an Ethiopian Orthodox Church.  I have little experience with an Orthodox  Church, much less one that believes it has the original Ark of the Covenant.  It was good to see such a different expression of Christianity, including different sights, smells, and sounds than one would see in a Catholic or Protestant church.  The synagogue we visited seemed more "normal" to me.  Of course I have  been to several synagogues before.  The trip was a good reminder that we each have preconception of what church "should" be, and how important to be open to what it is.

Tomorrow I fly down to Chicago.  I have the rest of the weekend off.  After that it will be a day of training at church headquarters (insurances etc), and then on to the Missionary Conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment